W. Curtis Draper Tobaconnist
When tobacconist W. Curtis Draper founded his Washington, D.C., store in 1887, the shop was located just two blocks from its current location, which is just down the street from the White House. It catered to a small but dedicated customer base for decades.
In 1970, Draper’s became one of two tobacco stores to introduce Macanudo to the United States. Over the years, several American Presidents were known to frequent the store, including Calvin Coolidge, Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford.
In 1990, the shop was inherited by former employee John Anderson, who also happens to be the current President of the Premium Cigar Association. Anderson has since enlarged the business by taking it from a full-line tobacco shop to a brick-and-mortar store with a lucrative online business. The store also sponsors the Little Puff charity event in D.C. every year.